No-Cheat Chicken & Waffle Recipe
(gluten-free, dairy free, & contest prep-friendly!)
Who isn’t a sucker for a comfort food classic?
The good news is you can have your chicken & waffles and eat them too!
ALL while sticking to your fitness goals!
I came up with this recipe based on what my breakfast had been during a COMPETITION PREP- so that just goes to show you that a little creativity…and a waffle iron, go a long way!
Seriously though, waffles, chicken, hot sauce, a runny egg-
what more could you possibly want?
- 40 g oat bran or oat flour (make your own in a coffee grinder!)
- 1 whole large egg
- 2 tbsp sugar-free cashew or almond milk (or water)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- cinnamon/vanilla/salt/0 calorie sweetener to taste
- While your waffle iron is warming (if no waffle iron just make pancakes instead- or go to Wal-Mart and buy a waffle iron for $17!) combine all ingredients in a bowl
- Lightly spray waffle iron with a non-stick spray or brush with coconut oil (I use the coconut oil spray)
- Transfer batter to waffle iron and wait for magic to happen!
It’s seriously that simple!
This recipe makes 2 good sized waffles- but can be adjusted to fit almost any macronutrient/dietary needs depending on your goals!
-Egg free: substitute egg for a flax or chia seed “egg” or banana/pumpkin
-Fat-free: substitute whole egg for 2-3 tbsp egg whites- this will make your pancake a bit dry, but if you aren’t worried about the added carbs and/or dairy you can combat that by adding yogurt, cottage cheese, banana, pumpkin, or even apple sauce for added moisture (just don’t add the milk)
-Flavors: add cocoa powder, pumpkin spice, cayenne, whatever you like!
It’s BBQ season, grill up some chicken for your weekly suppers and save a little bit of extra to use for your breakfast!
If you want it crunchy try “breading” it in some of the oatbran, oat flour, or almond meal for a healthy exterior (baked, not fried!)
Top the chicken breast with your favorite hot sauce, a runny egg for a natural sauce, and finish it all of with your favorite no-sugar added syrup (I prefer Walden Farms pancake syrup) for the perfect sweet & savory combination!
Pro Tip: This makes an EPIC sandwich, get messy!
Don’t forget to tag me in your creations @ifbbprokyfit #kyfitcreations