French Toast Rice Cakes!
(Contest Prep Friendly, Gluten Free, Fat- Free, Sugar Free)
I know it sounds crazy, but I promise, it’s even better than I expected!
When I’m getting ready for a show I have to get creative with meals to stay sane, it’s the only way to stay on a program- variety is the spice of life and even with limited food sources and a very restricted diet I make sure I’m being creative with my meals to avoid dietary boredom and cravings!
I’m always looking for great breakfast and brunch replacements, especially for on the weekends as one of the things I miss most during contest prep is going out for Saturday breakfasts.
Cue my idea for a rice cake version of French toast which is a new favorite!
I normally have 1/2 a cup of rice or 3-4 rice cakes with my first meal of the day along with 1 cup of egg whites so this is the perfect contest prep meal.
-rice cakes (I used plain, but caramel or chocolate would be great)
(a little “stale” is a good thing, just like with French toast & day old bread!)
-spices: cinnamon, nutmeg, salt
-0 calorie sweetener of your choice
- Add vanilla, spices, and sweetener to egg whites (use as much egg white as is in your diet or if no required amount enough to cover rice cakes in a flat dish), I use 1 cup and cook the extra on the side! For 1 cup of egg whites use 1-2 tsp vanilla and spice/sweeten to your preference (with liquid egg whites you can taste it raw as the whites are pasteurized)
- Soak rice cakes in egg white mixture until soaked through (1-2 minutes per side). You want them to be saturated, but still cohesive and able to be transferred to a frying pan
- Fry in a non-stick pan until golden brown on each side
- While your “French toast” is cooking, cook the remaining egg whites, if you haven’t had them “sweet” like this you’re missing out!
- Top with sugar-free syrup or toppings of choice!
For 3 plain rice cakes & 1 cup egg whites
208 calories (31 g protein, 21 g carbs, 0 g fat)
Don’t forget to tag me in your creations!
Facebook: @KY Fitness and Nutrition Consulting